Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Where does your Joy come From?

This may be a silly question to some, but it is rather legitimate if you think about it. Where does your joy come from? Does it come from the things of this world? You are only happy when you are around your good friends, or when you have eaten your favorite meal, or when you are at work or when you can see yourself getting married? For me, a couple of years ago I would of responded to that question by saying "I'll be happy when I move to Georgia!" or something along those lines. It wasn't until this past year that it became clear to me that, thinking that way was nothing but idolatry, and more than that it was causing me to lose focus on what the Lord would have me to do and concern myself with *now*.

"It is good for me that I have been afflicted,That I may learn Your statutes"- Psalm 119:71

"Do not boast about tomorrow,For you do not know what a day may bring forth"- Proverbs 27:1


"Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry"- Colossians 3:5
Through affliction I learned that true joy and fulfillment comes from Christ alone. Not living in a new city, not making more friends, not anything at all but Christ. Why? Because he promised that He would never leave us or forsake us. With that said, you can be anywhere and be content and happy because you have the risen Lord with you!

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, I will never leave you nor forsake you."-Hebrews 13:5

The Lord is good and richly gives us all things for our enjoyment (1 Timothy 6:17) so we can be happy when we recognize that he has blessed us with good things and good people and when he has caused us to be a blessing. Who can't help but be filled with joy when you are bouncing a bubbly baby on your lap, or who can't help but be filled with joy when you hear some great news, that is all wonderful but the issue comes when we are moved, and swayed back and fourth in our emotions in absence of those things. When our mind is fixed on Him, our joy remains.

"You will show me the path of life, In Your presence is fullness of joy, At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."- Psalm 16:11

Continue to be filled with the Joy of the Lord!



2 comments:

  1. So true Jazz, I've been thinking the same things lately, true joy in Him alone, He alone is worthy of our all.

    ReplyDelete